The recent stint of warm-ish weather in the Northeast left me wanting for two things: for warm weather to stay here and for the lighter tastes of summer flavor to begin showing up on my plate. Well, even though the cold weather returned, my craving stuck around. So what to do when I want summer flavor but fresh, local, summer fruits and veggies are nowhere to be seen? I use frozen, boxed and canned produce that is picked, cooked and preserved at the peak of freshness. This is a much tastier, and cheaper, option than the out of season produce in the grocery store. For this dish, I used frozen corn and boxed tomatoes. (When buying canned, frozen or boxed produce you want to try find foods that are preserved in bpa-free packaging.) I decided to make this a burrito sans the tortilla to keep it on the healthier side and gluten free. Enjoy!
- Quinoa Burrito Bowl
- Yields 1-2 servings
- -¾ cup cooked quinoa, cooled
- -¼ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- -¼ cup corn, drained if canned or thawed if frozen
- -2-3 tablespoons canned chopped tomatoes, drained
- -2 pinches parsley, finely chopped
- -2 teaspoons olive oil
- -Juice of ½ lemon
- -¾ ounce fresh mozzarella, finely chopped
- -Salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder and cayenne pepper (optional), to taste
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Taste, adjust spices and enjoy cold or warm.
Because Eliana is a toddler, she had to pick, sniff and inspect every piece of food that was heading into her mouth, even though she had recently enjoyed every individual item in this dish. She ate some of this dish but not as much as I would have expected. So, I’ll try again another time!