Basic Tomato Sauce with Canned San Marzano Tomatoes
- -Extra virgin olive oil
- -1 medium yellow onion- chopped
- -Crushed or chopped garlic to taste
- -1 28-ounce can of San Marzano crushed or diced tomatoes
- -1 peeled and chopped carrot, optional
- -Sugar, salt and pepper to taste
- -1 Bay leaf, optional
Pour olive oil into a large pot on medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. After about 20 seconds, add the onions and a dash of salt, mix and let cook down for 4-5 minutes till onion is yellow. Add the carrots and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Add chopped tomatoes and stir through. Bring heat to medium high. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add sugar and Bay leaf. Mix through and let simmer for at least 10 minutes or more on low heat. Turn off heat, taste and add seasoning as needed.
- -Pureed: Let sauce cool slightly, then puree in blender, food processor or using a hand mixer. Taste and adjust seasonings again.
- -Add chopped fresh herbs (basil or parsley) at the end after sauce has simmered for 10 minutes and let simmer 2-3 minutes more.
- -Make a primavera sauce by adding 1-2 chopped carrots, 1 chopped zucchini, and 1 yellow squash.