Basic Tomato Sauce with Fresh Tomatoes
- -4 large tomatoes, chopped or 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes chopped into halves
- -1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- -1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- -Olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste
- -Chopped fresh herbs such as basil
Pour olive oil into a large pot on medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 1 minute.
Add diced yellow onion and a pinch of salt. Stir. Sauté for around 3-4 minutes or until the onion starts to become translucent.
Add chopped tomatoes and stir through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix through and let simmer on low heat for around least 10 minutes.
Add fresh herbs, stir and let simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
Turn off heat and taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- -Let sauce cool slightly, then puree in blender or mixer. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- -Add chopped fresh vegetables such as carrots, zucchini or yellow squash with the onion to make a primavera sauce.