This recipe was inspired by a recipe I got years ago from my friend Amy’s mom, Debbie. Debbie uses spinach and her version is super yummy. Over the years I’ve played around with it by changing up the vegetables, adding a topping and using egg whites instead of whole eggs.
Here it is:
- Vegetable Casserole
- Foodies 9-12 months and beyond
- -2 10-ounce boxes of frozen vegetables ie: spinach, broccoli, lima beans
- -¼ cup Italian breadcrumbs, plus a small handful more for topping
- -½ cup chopped yellow onion
- -3 egg whites- blended with a fork or whisked
- -3 tablespoons melted butter- unsalted
- -¾-1 cup grated Parmesan or Locatelli cheese or a combination of the two, plus a small handful more for topping the casserole
- -½ teaspoon garlic powder
- -¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- -¾-1 teaspoon salt
- -½ teaspoon black pepper
Heat oven to 365°
Cook onion in olive oil with a little bit of salt over medium heat for around 5 minutes until yellow. Remove from burner and let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, heat frozen frozen vegetables in the microwave according to package directions and drain them well.
Put all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Pour into a 9×9-baking dish.
Mix leftover breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Bake for around 25 minutes or until set.
And here is a video of Eliana enjoying the casserole. Think she liked it?