- Peter Berley’s Recipe for Vegetable Stock
- Makes about 2 quarts
- -2 large onions, chopped into ½ inch chunks
- -4 carrots, peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks
- -2 stalks celery, chopped into ½ in chunks (include the leaves, too)
- -2 parsnips, peeled and chopped ½ inch chunks
- -2 heads garlic, unpeeled and cut in half
- -10 cups water
- -2 bay leaves
- -2 sprigs fresh thyme (I used parsley)
In a large pot, place the onions, celery, parsnips, carrots and garlic along with the water.
Bring to a boil. Skim the foam off the top of the pot and add the bay leaves and fresh herbs.
Lower the heat and simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
Strain out the vegetables and store liquid in an airtight container.
The stock is good for up to 4 days in the refrigerator or 4 months in the freezer.